Adding a new teacher or staff member
You can add a single new teacher or staff member easily with the following steps. If you have several teachers to add, then you can do a bulk update in one of two ways: for NSW public schools, you can run a sync with the DEC server ; for all other schools, you can import new teachers through a spreadsheet.
For NSW public schools, all staff would have been imported through the 3PI direct integration process with the Department; however the access level would have been set to "no access". So for NSW Public Schools, please read the section below, "NSW Public Schools - Missing teacher names after direct integration". If the teacher/staff member is not there still, then please follow the instructions in the next section, "Adding a new teacher or staff member".
NSW public schools – Missing teacher names after direct integration
- If you can’t see a teacher that you imported or you’re unsure, it may be because their access level is set to “No Access”.
- To locate these and any missing teachers, simply select the >Admin tab and on the left-hand blue menu, scroll to >General>User Administration
- Select the icon to Show Advanced Filters – this icon is located to the right of the search field for –Email address. It is the first of the three icons represented by a drop-down icon or an inverted triangle
- Select the check box beside –No Access under – Permission Levels and select the GREEN tick or hit –Enter on your keyboard
- You will now see the missing teachers listed along with all other teachers who may have varying permission levels such as “admin, executive, teacher, viewer”
- You can scroll and locate the missing teachers or type in their name in the -Name/Code field and hit >Enter on your keyboard. Once you’ve located the teacher, select >Edit to the right of their name to edit their profile
- Ensure that the Mandatory fields are filled - First Name, Last Name, Username, Password, and Password Again (for schools using Momentum ESR with either Goalhub or MyPLgoals, you will need to set a temporary password with letters and numbers for e.g. Balmain2018 to make it more secure) For username, use firstname.secondname – you can add a number to the username if that username has already been taken for e.g. jack.smith1 –You should fill in the email address so that the teacher can get emails to reset their password in the future without asking you to reset their password for them. You can leave the teacher code field blank. Note: if the teacher’s mobile number is listed, please delete the spaces between the numbers for e.g. 0497 123 123 should be 0497123123
- The default permission level is No Access, select the appropriate Permission level from the drop-down menu:
- Admin is the highest level of access and gives the user administrative access over all areas of the program. This level of access is normally only assigned to just one or two people in the school
- Executive This is the second highest level of access. This gives the user access to all classes by defaults and allows them to view and modify all classes without access to the administration area
- Teacher This gives the user teacher access. However, they still need to be assigned to a class
- Viewer allows the user to view classes they are assigned to but not make any changes.
- No Access removes all access; the user will not be able to log in at all. Teachers that have left the school should be assigned to the No Access level.
- Select Save.
Note: Remember to let the teachers know the password that you set for them. They will be prompted to change the temporary password you set for them, when they log in – they can then change it to whatever they want.
Adding a new teacher or staff member
- Select Admin>General>User Administration
- Select New, located at the bottom right-hand corner of the page
- Fill in the new teacher record fields with the new teacher’s details. Mandatory fields are First Name, Last Name, Username, Email Address, Password, and Password Again; and assign a level of access from Permission Level. The default permission level is No Access, select Teacher from the Permissions level drop down for teachers only needing access to their class.
- Select Save
- You will then see the newly added teacher listed in the list of users under Admin>General>User Administration
- You will need to inform the newly added teacher of the username and password that you set for them; they will be prompted to change their password when they log in for the first time - they can then change it to whatever they want.
Assign teacher to a class for Reports
- Select Admin>Assessment>Manage Classes
- The list of classes will appear, select >Teachers icon located to the right-hand side of the page, in line with the class name
- If the teacher is a Class Teacher, type in their name in the -Class Teacher field; if the teacher needs access to the class but is not the Class Teacher, then type in their name in the -Class Access field.
- Select Save
Disabling a Teacher's account
- From the Teacher Administration page, press the 'Edit' button to the right of the teacher you wish to disable.
- Update the teacher's Permission Level to 'No Access'
Although the user's account will still be active, the 'No Access' level prevents the user from even logging into their account.
- Press the 'Save' button.
This will remove all ESR access for the user, and the teacher will no longer be able to log in at all.